Monday, July 18, 2011

Suspected mold in rental unit?

My family & I recently moved 100 miles into a rental house. The owner is still trying to sell the house but is renting it through a property management company in the mean time. When we looked at the house we were aware there was a leak in one of the rooms & we were told it was to be fixed shortly. Since moving in there has been an exceptional amount of rain in our area. We have lived here for over a month now & nothing has been done to repair the roof. The realtor brought a contractor over to look at it, but that was well over 2 weeks ago. We have heard from several people that this house has been for sale for over 2 years and the current owner has received estimates from every contracting company in town, literally EVERY one(it's a town with a population of less than 20,000). My husband works for one of them & his boss said when he did the estimate for the owner he didn't want to pay for anything. He got the impression he was only getting estimates to make it seem like he was going to fix it, but really just wants to sell it as is. As a result of all the rain there now appears to be black mold growing on the exposed insulation in the room with th leaking roof. My 3 year old son constantly has a runny nose ans we both constantly seem to have what feels like pink-eye. I also experience frequent headaches. These are not problems we experienced before living in this house. I'm concerned for our health, but since moving I have lost my job so we don't have money to just move again. What are my steps here an who do I need to contact, the property management or the realtor? I don't have a number for the owner himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment